Do These First
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask them to enable Synology service on your account. This quick setting change is free of charge.
On your end, please update your Synology device to the latest version of DSM (the firmware).
Setup is done through your Synology NAS web-based interface
On your Synology device, go to "Backup and Replication" (previously named "Backup and Restore")
- click the "Backup" option from the left menu
- click the "create" button in the upper left
- specify a "Data backup task"
- choose items for backup. At the bottom of the page, under the "Backup Destination" dropdown, choose "Add Backup Destination..."
- choose "Network Backup Destination (rsync-compatible server)". Click "Next"
- Use server settings:
Backup destination name: (use whatever you like, i.e.: "rsync.net") Server name or IP address: YOURSITE.rsync.net username: (your username - 4 or 5 digit number) password: (your password) backup module: rsync
- Click "Apply"
- Click "Next"
- check only the box "enable transfer encryption" and "enable metadata backup" - leave all the others unchecked.
- check the "enable backup schedule" box and choose your schedule.
then click apply.
If you have any questions or problems regarding this process, please email email@example.com - we will help you immediately.
- rsync.net SSH / SSL Server Fingerprints
- rsync.net Physical delivery guidelines
- rsync.net Warrant Canary
- rsync.net PGP/GPG Public Key